- Dr. Kathrin
Head Trauma in Children
After hitting their head in an accident children can show – also after a period without any complaints – symptoms which indicate a cranio-cerebral injury (hematoma below the cranial bone, swelling of the brain, etc.).
In case these symptoms occur you have to see immediately a doctor with your child.
Important symptoms are
- Within 24 hours after the accicent
(mostly require monitoring in the hospital)
- Modification or loss of consciousness, slow reactions
- Difficult arousal
- Pupils not bilaterally equal
- Double vision, unclear vision
- Swaying gait, paralysis
- Altered behavior (continuous crying, etc.)
- Paleness, dizziness, vomiting, sickness, breathing difficulties
- Permanent deviation of the eyes
- Within 2-3 days after the accident
- Fever, headache, stiff neck
- Increasing retardation of behavior, drowsiness and every symptom listed above
- 2 – 3 weeks after the accident
- Growing head circumference (in babies), notable gap or pace in the cranium
- Fatigue, aggressiveness, loss of appetite
- Altered behavior
- Continuous headache
If your child shows any of these symptoms after an accident, consult your doctor immediately in order to avoid further complications.