- by admin
What is Autism?
Autism is a complex, developmental disability that causes problems with social skills and communication.
Autism can be mild or severe. It is different for every person.
Some Quick Facts About Autism
- Studies indicate that 1 in 68 children will be diagnosed with Autism.
- Boys are 5 times more likely to be diagnosed than girls.
- There is no known, single cause of Autism.
- Autism impacts each person differently. Some people with Autism are nonverbal, while others are highly gifted in areas.
- There is no cure for Autism.
The Symbol for Autism Awareness is the Puzzle Piece
The puzzle piece represents the mystery and complexity of Autism. The different colors ( red, yellow, and
blue, ) represent the diversity of the families and people living with Autism.
When interacting with someone with Autism remember…
– Just because they are not looking at you doesn’t mean they are not listening.
– Talk as equals, do not talk down to them.
– If you think a communication error has happened, clarify it, ask questions.
– Be patient.
Autism in Entertainment
There are many characters on popular shows today that demonstrate
Autistic traits and tendencies. Some examples are…
– Sheldon from ‘The Big Bang Theory’.
– Brick from ‘The Middle’.
– Julia from Sesame Street
Famous people with Autism
– James Durbin: American Idol contestant.
– Dan Akroyd: Actor, best know for his role in Blues Brothers.
– Tim Burton: Director of films like: Batman Begins.